Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Being a friend.....

With the loss of Trisha's mother last week and feeling totally inadequate in trying to help in some way, I kept racking my brain for ways in which I could do something for her. She is so sad, and I have hated feeling so helpless in comforting her. But being that I have always been a believer in "It's all about the little things" I came up with the perfect idea. I enlisted the help of Leah, another good friend of Trisha and I, and we purchased a bunch of pretty flowers and planted all of Trisha's flower boxes. Every time I would stop by the Saarela's for a visit, Trisha would always say how she hadn't gotten to planting them yet, and that she really, really needed to get on that. She even told her husband that maybe she didn't have it in her to get them done this summer... So I thought it would be great to surprise her by planting them for her. It is not only a gesture of friendship in her time of loss, but today also happens to be her birthday. I can't even imagine what it has been like for her to say goodbye to her mother for the last time today at her funeral, and having it also be her birthday. So tough. But I hope in some way this small gesture of friendship will put a smile on her face, and each time she looks at the flowers she will remember that she has friends who love her...These are the flowers we chose....
Leah getting down and dirty....
Trisha's dog Nico overseeing the planting....
The finished flower boxes. I think we did good!
The kids getting some "Tramp" time while Leah & I planted...

I really hope Trisha likes them! :)

No comments: